Monday, December 12, 2011

Why does the bank want you to choose the credit option when you use your debit card?

If the bank makes more fees (from the merchant) on debit transactions, why are they pushing customers to always choose the credit option when they use the debit card? I received a new debit card today that didn't include a PIN number, nor a way for me to set one up. It just instructed me to always punch "credit" and sign for it.|||Unless you're taking money out of the ATM, you should never ever use your PIN. Like your bank instructed, always use the credit option when using the card.





When you use the PIN, it leaves you more vulnerable to theft. If someone watches you input your PIN, then steals your card, they can clean out your bank account.





When you use the credit option, it affords you the exact same protections as if you were using a Visa/Mastercard credit card.|||Last time I checked you get the card through the mail in one envelope and a few days later they mail you info with your preset PIN number. I don't know of any bank that's ever "pushed" anyone to choose a credit option, especially the way their every move is regulated so much more these days. I have known of smaller (seedier) retailers telling customers to "push the credit button anyway" so presumably their fee is smaller but never seen a bank tell instruct a customer to select one type when it really isn't...that sounds more like something you've been told by someone around you. I've had coworkers tell me about using debit cards at gas stations selecting credit for whatever reasoning they have in their head-presumably this works for some. Me, I avoid debit cards altogether since a credit card gives me an extra layer of safety in case it's stolen. My bank accounts are sacred and I don't allow anyone to have access to them either through debit cards, ATM cards, instant transfer to merchants or even online 3rd party payment companies. Everything goes through my credit cards first THEN I initiate a payoff to each when and how I want.|||Hi! You are almost right. With debit cards the bank only receives a small fee (the merchant fee for debit), with credit card they receive a larger free. So it's in their interest to make you want to use credit. Actually it's more secure anyway because they can verify the signature and check your ID. With my bank they charge a fee for debit (25 cents). I know it's not much but it sure adds up so I always use credit if I can avoid it.



You asked about PIN, you don't actually get to choose it, they send you PIN in a separate letter. Then they have a phone number you must call in from your home phone number. You verify your account, then at that time they give you the option to change the PIN. Good luck!|||Debit processing may only cost the merchant about 1%

Credit can cost the merchant between 1.5% and 5%.

Credit processing is much more profitable for the banks and visa and master card.



I asked my bank for a debit card with no visa logo on it.

This way it forces me to enter a pin.

For this you must have a credit card handy since some stores "very few" don't have a pin keypad for your pin based (debit) purchases..



Note: This is a checking account bank card? No pin?

Call your bank and ask them how you would make ATM withdrawls.

Note: My bank will not allow me to take money out of the ATM without entering a pin...|||For small transactions, debit is more expensive; for large transactions, credit is. Many stores know EXACTLY when this crosses over and encourage you to use debit when it's cheaper.





I will use debit IN THE STORE, but not outside at a gas station. Theft of the PIN is easily done at the pump.|||They do not send the pin number and the card in the same letter. The should send a pin number in the mail within the next week. Just use the credit button for now.|||true

No comments:

Post a Comment